Charlotte Wills Lawyers
Assisting Clients With the Will Process in Waxhaw & Surrounding Areas
A will allows you to leave behind instructions detailing your final wishes in the event of your death. Generating a will has many benefits both for yourself and your loved ones. If you have final wishes you would like carried out, a will establishes these so that they will be followed. For your loved ones, knowing which beneficiaries will inherit your assets and property gives them peace of mind as they will not have to make these difficult decisions without you.
What Are the Legal Requirements of a Will?
In North Carolina, the legal requirements for generating a will are as follows:
- The testator must be at least 18 years old
- The testator must be of sound mind, also known as being of capacity
- The will must be signed by the testator or by another individual he/she appoints while in his/her presence
- At least two witnesses must also sign the will
Wills in North Carolina allow the testator to hand his/her property over to any beneficiary he/she would like.
What Can a Will Do?
A will is typically used to leave behind instructions on what should happen to a testator’s property after death, however, you can also use a will for the following reasons:
- Name an executor
- Name beneficiaries
- Determine how debts, taxes, and creditors will be paid
- Give instructions for how and when beneficiaries will receive assets
- Provide for pets
- Name guardians for your child(ren)
How To Create a Will
You should consult with an experienced Charlotte wills attorney before generating a will. You want to ensure your will is legally enforceable. Also, the legal insight you receive is priceless as this document contains valuable information about the future of your property and assets.
When you are ready to draft a will, consider doing the following:
- Figure out what your assets and property are and determine who should receive them
- Nominate guardians for your child(ren)
- Name an executor to oversee your estate proceedings
- Consult with an experienced Charlotte wills lawyer
- Sign and notarize the will (make sure you sign your will in the presence of 2 witnesses)
- Store your will in a safe location, or have your lawyer do this for you
Speak With a Charlotte Wills Attorney Today
Your future is important to you. Let our wills attorneys in Charlotte help you safeguard your legacy by taking you through the will process. We will address all of your questions and concerns and provide you with compassionate counsel throughout the entire process. Whether you need to write a will for the first time or want to modify an existing will, we are happy to assist you. We offer comprehensive estate administration and trust planning services as well.
With offices in Charlotte and Waxhaw as well as in Greenville and Fort Mill, we make it easier for families across the Carolinas to find quality counsel.
Children Come First
With the complexities of family law, we put the well-being and safety of your children at the forefront of your case.
When you work with Blood Law, PLLC, you work with our entire team. Everyone is here to support you through each step.
We create personalized plans for each client while setting realistic expectations on the possible outcomes of the case.
From our first phone call to final signing, our team goes above and beyond to make sure you're getting the attention you deserve.
“Anna guided me through the entire process and answered all of my questions and concerns quickly.”- Debra K.
“Anna is very knowledgeable of the law as well as the local courts and judges.”- Penny N.
“I’m extremely grateful for Anna's help in my time of need.”- Olivia L.